[StBernard] St. Joseph Altar will be presented by KC Rummel Council 5747 in Chalmette

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 7 09:30:28 EST 2014

St. Joseph Altar will be presented by KC Rummel Council 5747 in Chalmette

Print Annette Phillips By Annette Phillips
on March 06, 2014 at 6:46 PM, updated March 06, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Members of the Knights of Columbus Archbishop Rummel Council 5747 and the
ladies auxiliary are sacrificing their time and effort in a labor of love
for the traditional St. Joseph's Day Altar.

The viewing will take place at the Knights of Columbus hall, 2107 Paris
Road, Chalmette, March 18 from noon to 6 p.m. The altar is open to the
public for feeding on March 19 from noon to 6 p.m.

Students from Our Lady of Prompt Succor will attend March 19 at 11 a.m.,
said Fran Bourgeois, president of the Knights of Columbus Rummel Ladies
Auxiliary in Chalmette.

"This started a few years ago, in order to educate the young about this
Catholic custom in hopes that they will continue to uphold the tradition,"
she said.

The New Orleans area was a major port for Sicilian immigrants during the
late 19th century. Many Sicilian traditions, such as the St. Joseph's Day
altar, have been incorporated into the local culture.

The legend of the origin of St. Joseph's Day altar begins in Sicily in the
middle ages. Sicily was plagued by famine and drought and they turned to St.
Joseph for intercession. When the rains finally did fall, their prayers were
answered and food was offered on a three level altar, which represents the
Holy Trinity. The poor were invited to share in prayers and festivities.

St. Joseph's Day is March 19, which always falls during Lent, a time of
abstinence. Therefore, most of the dishes are meatless or seafood. The
Knights of Columbus members are preparing the traditional St. Joseph's altar
foods, such as Milanese gravy, fig and seed cookies, biscotti, fruits, and
vegetables.

"There will be our usual spaghetti and gravy, along with the traditional
Milanese gravy we are presenting for the first time," Bourgeois said. "We
will also have artichoke and other casseroles."

On a typical St. Joseph's Day altar, people place flowers, palms, candles,
fava beans, breads, and cookies. The Knights of Columbus' altar last year
included a beautiful tapestry, and an arch with lilies woven throughout.

"We are excited to use our grotto again for the St. Joseph statue,"
Bourgeois said. "I am helping to decorate the altar. We are using the
traditional red, white, and green cloths this year."

The members also set up a memorial table, with pictures of deceased members.
"It is a good way to remember those who have passed," she said. "We will
have our intention and donation box again."

They are also excited to display a large chocolate rosary, made by Carol
Willhoft. "It is large enough for its own table."

The ladies are making to-go baggies for visitors with traditional cookies,
and fava beans. The fava bean is a symbol of prosperity, and was attributed
as the crop which saved the Sicilian people from starvation.

For more information about the St. Joseph's Day Altar at the Knights of
Columbus, or to make a donation of food for the altar, call the hall at
504.271.0537.