[StBernard] Chalmette Elementary student strives to qualify for the Louisiana Special Olympics

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 13 08:22:53 EDT 2014

Chalmette Elementary student strives to qualify for the Louisiana Special
Olympics
Print Annette Phillips By Annette Phillips
on March 12, 2014 at 6:14 AM, updated March 12, 2014 at 6:30 AM

"Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt." This is
the motto of the Special Olympics. The overall goal of the Special Olympics,
is to "bring understanding and acceptance to every part of the world, every
day of the week."

Brenden Whitmore, fifth grade student at Chalmette Elementary School, is a
model of this goal and of the motto of the Special Olympics. Whitmore is a
previous participant and winner of the Special Olympics last year. He is
among students who will participate in the St. Bernard Parish Public School
System's fifth annual Special Olympics at Chalmette High School's Bobby Nuss
Stadium.

"I really had fun at the first competition at Chalmette High," Whitmore
said. "It was really cool, we got to eat in the cafeteria. I thought that
was just for adults!"

The participants are striving to qualify for the Louisiana Special Olympics.

"Our games are made up throwing and running events," said Paul Frey,
Director of Special Olympics. "I try to do some type of event so all of the
athletes with special needs that choose to participate have a chance to
compete."

Brenden won first place in the 200 meter run last year, which qualified him
to move on to compete in state.

"He was selected to try out for Team Louisiana after finishing in at least
one of the top three positions in his events," Frey said. "Our area, Delta,
was allotted two athletes."

After attending tryout camp in Pineville last year Brenden was not selected.
However, he is not discouraged.

"I have been running everyday after school," he said. "I am excited to try
again this year."

Shelley Pann, Special Education Teacher, said, "Brenden has an amazing
personality. He doesn't even realize, I think, that he has a disability. He
helps all the other students in class."

Brenden is labeled as multiple disabilities at school, but he doesn't let
anything hold him back. According to his mother, Dana Whitmore, Brenden lost
his fingers and toes in utero.

"He is such a blessing, and he has been a fighter from the very beginning,"
Dana Whitmore said. "I have never babied him, because I didn't want him to
use it as a crutch."

Brenden has never accepted the limitations of his disability. "The doctors
said he probably wouldn't walk until he was about four years old," she said.
"Brenden was running around at about 10 months."

Brenden will participate in softball throw and 200 meter run again this
year. He competes in the male 8 to 11 year old division, which is one of the
larger brackets of athletes, according to Coach Frey.

"I think he will do fine," he said. "Brenden is a very capable athlete. He
tries his best to succeed."

Brenden hopes to be successful this year, and go all the way to be chosen
for the National Training Camp.

"I have been practicing really hard. My mom and my grandmother encourage
me," he said.

"Brenden has overcome so much, and he is living proof of that you can
survive, and be a success if you put your mind to it. I am so proud of him,
and I will stand behind him no matter what he goes on to achieve," Dana
Whitmore said.

The Special Olympics raises awareness about the abilities of people with
intellectual disabilities. The organization, through sports, showcases the
skills and dignity of athletes with disabilities.

Good luck to Brenden, and all the other athletes at this years Special
Olympics!

Annette writes about people, places, and events in Chalmette. Send Chalmette
stories to Annette at chalmettematterstp at gmail.com or call 504.250.6248.