[StBernard] Bill to arm teachers

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 13 08:43:15 EDT 2014

Bill to arm teachers

WWL.com Reporting
Legislation has been filed that would allow teachers and principals to bring
their guns into classrooms in Louisiana.

The bill is by Chalmette Representative Ray Garofalo who says this is in
response to an increase in gun violence, particularly on school campuses.

Garofalo's bill will no doubt run into resistance from those on the side of
the gun control debate who feel guns only create more problems. He feels
this legislation will "take up the welcome mat" and send a clear signal to
those who would do harm.

"We have to do something to show the criminals and the crazies that we are
taking action and they may meet some resistance if they go onto those
campuses," Garofalo said.

While the bill has not been scheduled for hearing at this time, Garofalo
anticipates a committee hearing date will be set in the near future.