[StBernard] Obama Plans to Put a Toll on I-10

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 2 08:52:58 EDT 2014

Obama Administration Opens Prospect For Tolls On Every Highway
US Transportation Department proposes spending $302 billion with emphasis on
bicycle trails, buses and toll booths.

Transportation Secretary Anthony FoxxThe US Department of Transportation on
Tuesday unveiled its "Grow America" proposal reauthorizing federal
transportation funding over the next four years. The $302 billion spending
blueprint reflects a major shift in White House priorities, particularly on
the issue of tolling.

The president's first pick for transportation secretary, Ray LaHood, spoke
enthusiastically in favor of tolls within a few months of being sworn in to
office. The administration wasted no time in taking LaHood to the woodshed
for getting ahead of the White House on the policy. He was forced to dial
back and pursue the policy, but quietly. Now the administration feels it has
the flexibility to call openly for toll booths on existing freeways.

Section 1405 of the proposed legislation repeals existing prohibitions on
tolling existing interstate highway lanes and provides a blanket
authorization for "conversion of one or more lanes on a toll-free highway,
bridge or tunnel (including highways, bridges or tunnels on the interstate
system) to a toll facility for the purpose of reducing or managing high
levels of congestion, subject to the approval of the [transportation]
secretary."

The plan spends $4 billion on TIFIA loans which are used to subsidize
private toll road projects. A "Fast" grant tolling promotion initiative
would be created with $4 billion. Another $5 billion would be used to make
permanent the "Tiger" grants program, which was used by the previous
administration to encourage tolling and projects wholly unrelated to
driving.

"We were proud of the $20 million dollar Tiger grant that allowed
Indianapolis to build its eight-mile bicycle and pedestrian Cultural Trail,"
Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said. "Yet, we know there's still a
need out there for more bike/ped investment. Yes, PeopleForBikes selected
six cities for the Green Lane Project, but more than a hundred cities wanted
to take part. The transportation bill we sent includes the resources we need
to support additional investments in bike safety and bike infrastructure."

In addition to bicycles and tolls, the administration plan goes further in
diverting gasoline tax revenue collected from motorists for use on mass
transit projects. The budget for public transportation grows $10.5 billion
to $72 billion over four years with $19 billion going to rail.

Under the Obama administration, the Federal Transit Administration's Capital
Investment Grant program, which funds bus service and light rail, grew to
become one of the largest discretionary grant programs in the federal
government.

To become law, both the House and Senate must approve the administration's
plan, which is far from guaranteed. Transportation funding frequently
becomes political, and members from both parties have opposed the tolling of
existing freeway lanes.