[StBernard] Supper and Substance Provides Catholic Married Couples Relaxation and Formation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 6 10:44:28 EDT 2014

Supper and Substance Provides Catholic Married Couples Relaxation and Formation

“Married couples who attend Supper and Substance events around the Archdiocese of New Orleans say they are drawn to the opportunity to spend time with other couples in a relaxed atmosphere, enjoying good food and conversation, and hearing an inspiring message from local, Catholic, married couples who share their faith journey,” say Deborah and Brian Keller who are coordinating the upcoming event hosted by Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.

The Supper and Substance program is sponsored by the Willwoods Community and is led by Jason and Elise Angellette, who often serve as guest speakers. “We first met the Angelettes on a Willwoods retreat for married Catholics at St. Joseph Abbey, and they introduced us to Supper and Substance. We have been dropping in on several parishes’ events, and were excited that Fr. Luke Nguyen, our pastor, wanted to host an event for the entire St. Bernard deanery,” the Kellers added. “There was a huge archdiocesan-wide Supper and Substance night at Rock ‘n Bowl last summer and it was overwhelming to see so many people celebrating the vocation of marriage together.”

A social time precedes the dinner, which is being catered by the Archbishop Rummel Council 5747 of the Knights of Columbus at their hall on Paris Road. “The Knights of Columbus are so supportive of the marriage ministry that it makes the event possible,” says Brian. Following the dinner, a local Catholic married couple will speak about the joys and struggles of married life. The dance floor opens after the presentation.

“These are real people speaking, not unlike you, your friends and family, and they tell the story of their married life. We really admire their honesty and openness,” says Brian. The Kellers were married 35 years ago at St. Mark Catholic Church in Chalmette.

They had a unique experience at the Rock ‘n Bowl event last year, where a couple accidentally wandered into the wrong party. When the lost couple realized the guest speakers were John and Jennifer Besh, they decided to stay. At the end of the night, they shared with the Kellers that they had been living together for many years, but a recent illness caused them to question if they should marry.

The party-crashing couple said that they felt God led them to hear the Besh’s story and to witness so many happily married couples. “By the end of the night, they were certain that it was time to make the commitment and meet with a priest. They wanted that love of God and one another forever,” adds Deborah. “The woman told me, ‘We’ve just been playing house all these years and now we know there’s more’.”

Supper and Substance will be held on Saturday, May 17, 2014, 6 p.m.-9 p.m. at the Archbishop Rummel Council 5747 Knights of Columbus Hall 2107 Paris Road in Chalmette. The event is for adults only and the attire is dressy casual. Tickets are $35 per couple and reservations in advance are required by contacting the church office at 504-682-7070 or tmackles at arch-no.org <mailto:tmackles at arch-no.org> . Checks are payable to Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church and mailed or delivered to the church office at 2621 Colonial Boulevard, Violet, LA 70092. For more information, the Kellers can be reached at 504-259-8929.

Thanks, Deborah and Brian Keller