[StBernard] Applicants sought for St. Bernard Port board of commissioners

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 16 22:19:44 EDT 2014

Applicants sought for St. Bernard Port board of commissioners
Print Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By Benjamin
Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 13, 2014 at 1:45 PM, updated June 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM

The St. Bernard Port, Harbor and Terminal District board has several open
seats, and because of expiring terms among current members the district
could have an all new board of commissions in the coming months.

State Rep. Ray Garofalo, R-Meraux, announced this week that he is accepting
applications for the unpaid positions.

"Our port is one the biggest economic engines in our parish," he said. "It's
important that we find individuals who are capable and dedicated to serve so
the Port continues to be a success."

Commissioners serve five-year terms and vote on all port contracts and
agreements. The board regularly meets at noon on the second Tuesday of each
month.

Gov. Bobby Jindal ultimately must sign off on all appointments, but the
legislative delegation representing St. Bernard Parish - Garofalo, along
with Sens. J.P. Morrell, D-New Orleans, and Sen. A.G. Crowe, R-Slidell -
provide the governor with its recommendations. Garofalo said he is
spearheading the recommendation process.

He said it is the first time the delegation is publicly advertising for
board openings and that it's an effort to bring more transparency to the
selection process.

Commissioner Bradley Cantrell stepped down on May 14, and Commissioner Rob
Ruffino resigned last August. Commissioner Jim DiFatta has continued
serving, but his term expired in August 2010.

Garafolo said DiFatta "has continued to serve at my request."

As for the two other commissioners, Elton J. LeBlanc and Harold J. Anderson,
Anderson's term expires on June 15 and LeBlanc's term expires on June 16,
according to Robert J. Scafidel, the port district's executive director.

"We could conceivably have an entirely new board," Garofalo said. He added,
"we will absolutely consider reappointing current commissioners."

While the only requirements placed on an applicant are being a qualified
voter and a parish resident, it is beneficial to have a business background,
practical accounting knowledge, and an understanding of contracts, Garofalo
said.

People interested in serving on the board should email their resume and a
cover letter explaining their interest to Garofalo's office at
garofalor at legis.la.gov, or mail them to Garofalo's attention at 100 Port
Blvd., 2nd Floor, Chalmette, LA 70043. The deadline for submissions is July
31.

Anyone with questions on the applications process can either email or call
Garofalo's office at 504.278.6599.

"We'd like to know why they are volunteering to serve and their ideas for
the future of our port," Garofalo said.