[StBernard] Parish President David Peralta to Do Ice Bucket Challenge, Raise Money for ALS

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 22 09:44:14 EDT 2014

Parish President David Peralta to Do Ice Bucket Challenge, Raise Money for
ALS

St. Bernard Parish President David Peralta will be getting wet for a cause
on Wednesday, August 27th when he takes up the ALS ice bucket challenge.
Celebrities, ordinary citizens and even people suffering from ALS (including
former New Orleans Saints special teams hero Steve Gleason) have stepped up
and were doused with a bucket of ice water to raise awareness about
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

St. Bernard Parish Assessor Jaylynn Bergeron Turner and Sheriff Jimmy
Pohlmann recently took the challenge in front of the parish courthouse.
Peralta will not only make a donation to Team Gleason but will raise money
by raffling off the opportunity for a parish employee to have the honor of
dumping the bucket of ice water on him on Wednesday, August 27th in front of
the Parish Government Building at noon.

Chances are $2 and all of the proceeds will go to the Gleason Initiative
Foundation, which provides individuals with muscular diseases or injuries
with leading edge technology, equipment and services and raises public
awareness toward amyotrophic lateral sclerosis "ALS" by providing and
documenting extraordinary life adventures for individuals with muscular
diseases or injuries.

"I consider Steve Gleason a hero not just for what he did on the football
field for the Black and Gold but what he continues to do as a prominent
figure in raising money and awareness about ALS.  I am happy to take one for
"the team" by also raising money for Team Gleason.  And I am sure there are
more than a few parish employees who are willing to put up at least $2 for
the chance to dump a bucket of ice water on their boss."