[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Division A judicial race: incumbent highlights tenure, political newcomer touts change

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 4 15:21:28 EDT 2014

St. Bernard Parish Division A judicial race: incumbent highlights tenure,
political newcomer touts change

Print Benjamin Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By Benjamin
Alexander-Bloch, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on September 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM, updated September 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM

In the St. Bernard Parish Division A judicial race, a 20-year incumbent is
attempting to hold his seat against a younger, political newcomer who says
she would help usher the judicial system into the 21st century.

District Judge Robert A. "Bob" Buckley, 63, of Meraux, is facing off in the
Nov. 4 election against attorney Leola M. Anderson, 36, of Chalmette.
Buckley highlights his past tenure on the bench, whereas Anderson focuses on
needed changes.

"The recurrent state of the judicial system lacks independence, integrity,"
Anderson said. "The judges, they just kind of sit there until they retire,
almost an arrogance within themselves that they can do almost whatever they
want without any consequences to the community."

Buckley says he has "represented the interests of the people fairly" and he
points to the "vast amount of cases I have tried, every conceivable type of
case" as providing the experience necessary to give people "a good, fair,
honest shake."

"I have decided all the cases in front of me based on their merits, based on
facts and law, and I have shown courtesy to those in front of me," Buckley
said.

Anderson is Buckley's first opponent since he became judge during a special
election in October 1993. Buckley, then 42, filled the seat of Thomas
McBride III, who had retired in July 1993 and then died that September.

Before Buckley became judge, he worked as a St. Bernard assistant district
attorney for nine years, beginning in 1984. He also had helped run a private
law firm with his father since graduating from Loyola University law school
in 1976.

Anderson graduated from that same law school in 2006. She has spent the last
eight years mainly practicing personal injury law.

"I'll be bringing fresh ideas, something that this court needs," Anderson
said.

St. Bernard Parish historian Bill Hyland said Anderson is the first
African-American candidate to run for judicial office in the parish history.
Anderson highlighted that as important in moving the parish forward, adding
that she would help represent "people of all economic and social statuses
who feel they are not getting a fair shake."

The last day to register to vote in the Nov. 4 election is Monday (Oct. 6).
Early voting begins Oct. 21.

Secretary of State Tom Schedler's office accepts online voter registration
applications at www.GeauxVote.com, or you can visit the St. Bernard
Registrar of Voters Office, 8201 West Judge Perez Drive, Room 104,
Chalmette, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

For further voter registration information, you can contact the Registrar of
Voters Office at 504.278.4230, 504.278.4231, or 504.278.4232 and speak with
Juanita Coco, or Connie Crumhorn.