[StBernard] St. Louise de Marillac reunion planned in Chalmette, racial harmony will be discussed in Violet

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 4 15:27:29 EDT 2014

St. Louise de Marillac reunion planned in Chalmette, racial harmony will be
discussed in Violet
Print Earl Hodges By Earl Hodges
on October 01, 2014 at 9:10 AM, updated October 02, 2014 at 9:34 AM

St. Louise de Marillac Church and School, which was located in Arabi at the
time of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, will always hold a special place in
Michelle Pipitone Beaumont's heart.

"I have so many wonderful memories of the church and school," said Beaumont
who attended the school for four years and now lives in Algiers.  "We (St.
Louise de Marillac) were like a  family.  Everybody knew everybody."

When Katrina devastated St. Bernard Parish, St. Louise de Marillac Church
and School was destroyed and didn't reopen.  "After Katrina everyone
scattered in many different directions," Beaumont said.

Beaumont is spearheading a reunion of former St. Louise de Marillac
students, faculty and parishioners on Oct. 11 from 7 to 10 p.m. at the
Frederick Sigur Civic Center, 8245 West Judge Perez Drive, in Chalmette.
Tickets are $25 and includes an open bar, music, door prizes and dessert.
Those who attend can bring finger foods and snacks.

"The reunion is an opportunity for us to reconnect," Beaumont said. "I'm
looking forward to seeing old friends as well as my former teachers."

Various yearbooks and other memorabilia from the church and school will be
on display.

"We are expecting more than 200 people to attend the event," Beaumont said.
"The idea for this reunion began on facebook, and it has spread by word of
mouth. We  are excited about getting together again."

For information contact Beaumont at 504.391.9710; Angelle Pipitone Bommarito
at 504.391.3368; Kyle Newman at 228.216.3511 or James Schultz at
504.722.9220.

Racial harmony discussed

The Office of Racial Harmony in the Archdiocese of New Orleans will hold a
series of discussion groups Oct. 8 and 15 from 6:30 to 8 p.m.  at Our Lady
of Lourdes Church, 2621 Colonial Drive, Violet.

"Made in the Image of God, a pastoral letter on Racial Harmony" by
Archbishop Alfred Hughes is being used in the discussion groups.  For
additional information call 504.861.6272.