[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Government Receives "Battle Bicentennial" Flag from US Capitol

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 3 09:27:05 EST 2015

St. Bernard Parish Government Receives "Battle Bicentennial" Flag from US
Capitol

Congressman Scalise Donates Flag That Flew Over Congress On Battle of New
Orleans' 200th Anniversary

St. Bernard Parish Government officials received the flag that was raised
over the US Capitol on January 8, 2015, the two hundredth anniversary of the
American victory over the invading British during the Battle of New Orleans.

Louisiana First District Congressman Steve Scalise arranged for the American
flag that was raised over the seat of the national government on the
bicentennial to be retained for St. Bernard Parish Government.

"As the last crucial fight of the War of 1812, the Battle of New Orleans
shaped the formation of the American republic, opened up westward expansion
and made New Orleans a major international port," Rep. Scalise said.  "I
would like to thank the Bicentennial Commission for their efforts and causes
to celebrate 200 years since this decisive battle, which positively impacted
freedom, unity and opportunity for our state and our nation."

"We appreciate that Congressman Scalise made a point of obtaining the flag
for us and we intend to put it and the commemorative certificate on display
in the parish government building," said Parish President David Peralta.
"It's a great addition to the other mementoes we have from the Battle of New
Orleans Bicentennial Celebration."