Talbert Pipes- Halloween in January, plus four new LBs

Trever Talbert trever at talbertpipes.com
Tue Jan 28 23:28:18 EST 2014

Hello all! Lots of news from Ye Olde Talbert Workshop this evening. First up, there's some major news regarding the Halloween pipes - The first one of 2014 is now posted!

http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/halloween.shtml

I explain it further in the description of the pipe itself, but suffice to say, I'm indulging in a very long-held dream this month by posting a new Halloween pipe "out of season:. For many years now, I've often said that if I had my best wish, I'd do nothing but make Halloween pipes all year round. That's still not going to happen any time soon, but this year I'm moving one step closer to that goal by beginning to make and post Halloween pipes throughout the year - Every month can be Halloween! Well, as my time and inspiration allow, anyway. My goal is to leave open some free space for sudden attacks of creativity, so that if and when a design idea strikes, I can make it and post it, instead of having to cram all of my Halloween pipe work into September and October. I'm sure I'll still do more Halloween pipes during those months, but now I'm going to be making them as I have the ideas for them, and I hope it will be fun for me and my buyers alike.

Also new are four more Ligne Bretagnes:

That should provide something for the two far ends of my price range! I doubt, really, that I will turn out all that many more Halloween pipes in a year - Most likely this will mean going from 1 or 2 a year to perhaps 5 or 6. It will really be nice to be able to make and sell them in a more leisurely fashion, though, instead of spending two months working 24/7 under constant pressure.

In other news, some of you who follow my Facebook account might have seen me post recently that I was beginning work on a book. Yes, another wannabe writer… In any case, I've been kicking the idea around forever and have finally decided to sit down and really try to write an account of our time in France, from end to end, with all the drama and horror involved. We'll see how it goes. Thus far, it's been traumatic enough for me just to read back through my old emails and blog postings. This does bring up another point, though - Over my 16 years in the pipe biz, I have accumulated a LOT of pipe design sketches, drawings, layouts, ideas, etc, and I'm enjoying working in this novel format so much that it occurred to me that I might also try assembling and publishing a book of my design drawings. It would be comprehensively annotated and I'd basically talk about how I develop ideas from concept to execution. I don't know if anyone would be interested in this, though. Look for a poll or something to appear on my site eventually, to try and get a feel for how many (if any) people would be interested in such a book. That way if no one's even willing to click "Yes", I'll know not to bother.

That's all for now. As I write this, it's still snowing outside, which is quite a shock for North Carolinians. I think we may have a whole half inch of accumulation by now… Time to snowball the wife. As always, thanks very much for your time and for your interest in our work!