Talbert Pipes- A Passel of Princes

Trever Talbert trever at talbertpipes.com
Fri Apr 30 00:39:54 EDT 2021

Hello all!  We continue to be busy here getting the new workshop up and
running and streamlined (It's that last bit that's the most bother.  It's a
long road from "operational" to "all the tools I need at this machine are
right here and organized"...)  We've just completed a production run of
Prince shapes in Ligne Bretagne, so there are a bunch of new ones posted in
a variety of finishes.  There are a couple of beautiful smooths, one
unstained, and one finished in what we call 'Near Dark', a look I started
working on a couple years back and have continued to refine in my spare
time.  It's essentially a case of, "How dark can you make a smooth pipe and
still see the grain?"  Usually I reserve this for Talbert Briars because
it's a labor-intensive effect to accomplish, as it requires a lot of
careful buffing to produce the end result without making it either too
bright or leaving it opaque black.  But, I wanted to try an alteration to
the technique and am pretty pleased with the result.  Also, the single
sandblast in this set is another unusual finish - I liked the subtle
contrast highlighting of the surface texture but knew it would get
overwhelmed by a gloss finish, so I did this one in a semi-satin of
sorts... It's a more matte look and I love it, though it will probably
never sell as buyers always tend to skew towards the shiny pipes.

Another unique addition to this update is a handmade tamper, the first
we've done in a while and the first we've made from our own custom blended
resin mixture in years.  I used to do this a lot for Talbert Briar stems
back in the 90's but we weren't able to in France and mostly just stopped
after that.  But, we plan to get back into it now, because I want a lot of
interesting stem materials for Halloween and Yule pipes this year.  This
tamper is the very first thing we've offered from our new resin!  Look for
it in a pipe stem soon.  And just to clarify, the tamper was not "cast" in
its shape, the resin was cast in a rod and the tamper was hand-shaped from
that, which took labor time and is why it's costly.  Sometime in the future
we may look into making some molds and casting readymade tampers, though,
but that's on down the road.

So, you can see all this intriguing goodness here -

https://talbertpipes.com/pipe-shop/

But wait, there's more!  I posted an Instagram pic of that rusticated
Prince and promptly had about eight guys all PM me wanting to buy it before
the catalog update.  It always sort of mystifies me when there's so much
focused interest on ONE pipe in a set while others are as nice or nicer,
but what the hey, we do try to give people what they want and to that end,
we're bringing back a feature from the old website now where people can
order a similar pipe and it will be made for them.  The new site's web shop
setup will make this a lot easier to manage for me, so look for this more
in future.  For this first trial run, we're taking five more orders and
will open up for more orders beyond that if there's still demand, but I
don't want to stack up too many at a time.  Just go to the listing,
pre-purchase the pipe, and we'll get to work on making one like it for you!

https://talbertpipes.com/product/order-a-prince/

Oh, and our Patreon supporters have a new web comic to enjoy(?).  The Pipe
Lizards have a gripe and they're going to vent it...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/lizards-are-back-50485476

That's all for now... Wow, that's a lot, but stay tuned, there's more to
come.  As always, thanks very much for your time and for your interest in
our work!