[WASTE-list] Wrapping text around objects

Keith Clarke keithc at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed May 3 18:06:52 EDT 2006

I see in the list archives that some years ago the idea of absolute
positioning of embedded objects was discussed:

> Re: Wrapping text around objects (was : Where is WASTE 2.0?)

> Rainer Brockerhoff (rainer at ez-bh.com.br)

> Sent on:

> Monday, December 21, 1998 23:03:46

> At 19:48 -0200 on 21/12/98, Bill Hayden wrote:

> >It seems that glyph-based objects are not well suited to doing

> this kind

> of

> >thing. It would be much easier in the long run to NOT use the

> embedded

> >object handlers, but instead implement floating objects on top of

> the text

> >view. This would, of course, require some low level mods to

> WASTE, but

> >nothing too difficult I think. Just keep an array of objects, their

> >locations and sizes, and a region to hold the union of their "space".

> Then

> >draw around that region in the line-drawing hook.

> As long as your object positions don't depend on the text

> themselves, that

> should be reasonably easy to do. I'll try to look into it...

> probably a

> global "View Region", with coordinates relative to the main Rect,

> would be

> easiest... just intersect with each line before doing the actual line

> layout...

did anything ever come of this? I can't see anything in the v3
headers that looks promising.

I'd find it very useful to be able to flow text over non-rectangular
regions - even if it were just an L-shaped region.

thanks
Keith Clarke