[WASTE-list] Re: Endian issues

Kurt Spaker kspaker at asar.com
Sat May 6 10:53:12 EDT 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, Marco Piovanelli wrote:

> While I haven't tried recompiling WASTE 2.x as a UB,

> I expect there to be a number of endian issues you

> should be careful about.

> For one thing, WASTE 2.x uses a number of proprietary,

> binary scrap formats (WEcf, WEpf, WEst, WEru, FISH, SOUP)

> that need to be flipped when crossing an endian boundary.

> If you make use of any of these formats, either directly

> or indirectly (by simply allowing rich text exchange with

> other WASTE-using applications via drag and drop or the

> clipboard), you may need to write your own endian flippers.

Now that you've addressed the endian issues in WASTE 3, could you provide
more specifics how to deal with WASTE 2?

The WASTE 2 source code is all I've got left to deal with for a universal
binary, but as this is not my code, figuring out exactly where all the endian
problems are is a bit daunting.

Kurt