[WASTE-list] saving objects

Marco Piovanelli marco.piovanelli at pobox.com
Wed Jul 9 03:50:25 EDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:06:03 -0600,
Ryan Joseph (ryan at web-scripter.com) wrote:

>I have just noticed that WESave is saving objects into text with a

>question mark (?) symbol. Is this a bug that can be worked around?

>thanks.

Are you sure what you're seeing is really a U+003F QUESTION MARK
character?

But anyway, this is no bug. WASTE uses a placeholder character to
represent embedded objects in the text stream. The actual character
is immaterial (since information about the position of embedded
objects is kept out-of-band, anyway), but typically, it is

U+FFFC OBJECT REPLACEMENT CHARACTER

which is a Unicode character specifically meant for this purpose.

HTH,

-- marco