DPU trains (was Re: Thunder on Blue Ridge)

Tue Jan 18 21:11:14 EST 2011

"The amazing revelation was that on the Shenandoah Division, even the "Radio Flyers" exceeded the tonnage ratings by as much as 1200 tons. "

Harry,
I had a double coal train one time and when we arrived in Shenandoah the clerk asked if we knew how much tonnage we had. Our paperwork showed something like 13,000 tons. Then he told us we actually had more like 16,000 tons!
I'll say one thing, those EMD's were real horses that day. Yeah it was slooooow, and we knew something was up, but, those puppies really held the rail that day.

Jimmy