Y2 Builder Plates

Tue Feb 27 15:11:37 EST 2018

My memory is that Roanoke Shops plates were "painted in" when new.
Jim Nichols

  Question from a simple-minded old brakezman...
When a new engine was outshopped, was the background of the plate "painted-in" ?  Or is the painting of the backgrounds a collector's display technique?
What brings the question to mind is that the Y6 builder's plate which resides somewhat near-at-hand shows no evidence of ever having had paint applied.
Having cleaned up and painted a number of cast iron signs with raised lettering, I can testify that the job of a time-intensive one (if done right.)  It is hard to imagine a frugal pike like the N&W having a man spend a day painting in the background on a builder's plate, knowing that in two weeks the whole thing would be caked in soot anyway.
              -- abramo von burnettovich,resident at the home for broken-down old trainmen
                  Sent to You from my Telegraph Key
Successor to the MAGNETIC TELEGRAPH LINE of 1844