Fw: photo location

Wed Jun 6 12:47:55 EDT 2018

P>S> It is not Portsmouth or Roanoke. Different architecture on the tower. I vote for Bluefield.  Jim Nichols

     On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 11:41 AM, JAMES NICHOLS <jamesanichols at bellsouth.net> wrote:

  Jim Cochran asked the location of the photo listed as 'Bluefield." It could be Bluefield. After the 1953 east yard extension, the scale house was moved farther east. Bluefield had no need of a hump, since it had "natural gravity" yards in both directions. So the tower pictured would be controlling the new scales. If on the north side (as posted by someone earlier) then the 2105 is facing west, which is correct for all working yard power. There is photographic evidence that 2105 was one of the Y's employed at Bluefield in the last years of steam. As for the retarders, I don't know one way or the other if the new arrangement at Bluefield had them. From the old scale house, they used "riders" on the cuts of loaded coal cars to slow them with hand brakes as they drifted east to the trains being made up. I am aware that they were still using riders in the summer of 1953, but it is possible they were still working from the old scale house at that point. Just my opinion, but the picture does not appear to be at the crest of a hump. This would be consistent with the set up at Bluefield.
The presence of the 2105 is another plus.
Jim Nichols