Steam locomotive id needed!

Fri Oct 4 18:21:18 EDT 2024

Roger,

I agree with Jim Nichols. I believe its an early N&W Y3. The bell hanger
is the give away between an early Y2 and an early Y3. The hanger on the
Y2 has a vertical orientation, where the hanger on the Y3 extended out
at about 45 degrees (as shown in your photo). Also the early Y3's
(before the pumps were relocated) didn't seem to have a number plate
mounted on the smokebox door. NWHS photos NW14231 (Y3) and NG101020 (Y2)
show the hanger difference pretty clearly.

Great question, John Garner

That's a USRA 2-8-8-2 (as delivered). Engine in background appears to be
N&W, so this one of the Y3's.
Jim Nichols

     On Friday, October 4, 2024 at 12:46:11 PM CDT, NW Mailing List