[game_preservation] Watermarks and Studio Communication

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Apr 21 13:54:38 EDT 2008

Simon Carless wrote:

> In more recent history, GamesPress:

> http://www.gamespress.co.uk/

> ...is an excellent source for unwatermarked assets. I believe you need

> to pay a minor amount for full asset access, though. And you have to

> be a journo to use it at all.

Simon, website noted! I have it bookmarked it seems already - yeah, it
required a fee, so I visited it once or twice once I knew of it and that
was it, heh. Perhaps a resource to exploit at some later date for media,
certainly! especially if the content could be categorised and organised.
I'll look into the site in more detail then.

For past works, it'll be necessary to talk to a variety of sources I
guess; game magazine publishers might be helpful (older media they never
would use again for instance, and perhaps even at-the-time screenshots
of games they've reviewed perhaps, who knows?), as well as media
departments of companies themselves.

It'll be a while until we have a place to store anything of this type
anyway, but good to get these ideas here early, since it's plainly
obvious with this discussion the actual industry has to grapple with
watermarks sometimes (as Jim pointed out!).