[game_preservation] Watermarks and Studio Communication

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Apr 21 19:56:18 EDT 2008

This is another excellent point Simon (apart from a great website I'll
add to the project resources list), and something we perhaps should look
at. Do we have any available resources (besides the IGDA's own
webservers, of which I don't know the capacity in bandwidth or disk
space, and something I will look into) that can take on the task of
having a backups/copies of items?

Archive.org doesn't seem to have anything for this kind of work, perhaps
some of the University-based guys on the list can offer some help in
this regard? Or anyone who has the spare time to accept file uploads?

It'd certainly be good to have a capacity so we can contact people
offering them a mirror or even just a "private" backup! (and perhaps so
later the information can be properly categorised and be made useful).
Since there isn't many people to work on a general site for it, storing
the files would be a good compromise for now. While "disk space is
cheap" I don't have the money myself (at the moment that is) to take too
much media on my own hands and store it reliably, sigh.

Andrew

Simon Carless wrote:

> [...]

> store all of them, a sample would do, and this story certainly

> would be an interesting one to note as an example of how it can

> look bad).

> Andrew

> Captain Commando wrote:

>> Henry,

>> Yeah, a watermark is certainly not the original - but it can

>> sometimes do if it's the only copy available (and if it's famous

>> enough, people will search high and low and everywhere in-between

>> for the original). I've been doing something similar with MP3s -

>> I get multiple MP3s of essentially the same song, but with

>> different ID3 tags or filenames. These are made and distributed

>> by the people who make them as opposed to say different tags of a

>> CD. I decided to back up a copy of the multiples before deleting

>> them as you never know if it will be important later. And space

>> is cheap.

>> Watermarking will certainly be an important part of digital

>> culture and would be important to a future paper (or present,

>> paper, really) on ownership in the Network Age. Who knows how

>> images will be distributed 30 years from now, but I doubt they'll

>> be marked in the same way.

>> -DM

>> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Henry Lowood

>> <lowood at stanford.edu <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>> wrote:

>> <wrote this morning but forgot to send until now>

>> Devin,

>> Preservation itself, in a way, is neutral with regard to

>> digital watermarking. By that I mean that the technology

>> and practice of watermarking itself should be preserved, as

>> being likely to be of historical and technical interest.

>> So, we should expect to collect watermarked images. That

>> said, I do not think we can consider these as pristine

>> images, but rather as documenting the practice of

>> watermarking. It would be rather like considering a cracked

>> copy of a game, with a cracktro as being a preserved copy of

>> the original game; surely, cracked copies of this sort are

>> worth preserving, but they are not valid copies of the

>> original game. (I don't mean to compare cracking and

>> watermarking, by the way, other than to point out that they

>> are modified copies.)

>> My inclination would be to build collections of original data

>> (software, images, etc.) and Creative Commons seems like a

>> good way to handle access (but there are difficulties with

>> applying it retroactively without permission). We are going

>> to wrestle with documenting authenticity in the LC project,

>> and I think that's also a good topic for the White Paper.

>> Then perhaps separately build separate collections around

>> topics such as watermarking, cracking, and other means of

>> duplication. In some cases, of course, a copy in the latter

>> sort of collection may end up being the only copy to survive.

>> Henry

>> At 09:37 AM 4/21/2008, Captain Commando wrote:

>>> I have started to realize that watermarking is really a bad

>>> idea. Sure, it tells you where the image came from without

>>> having to check the metadata, but all it does is ruin an

>>> otherwise nice image. For this reason, I am starting to turn

>>> to the idea of uploading future high-res images to the

>>> Metroid Database without watermarks and possibly eventually

>>> converting some older images over and using Creative Commons

>>> when possible. I'm not sure if this is something we should

>>> be worried about (watermarking) but I know I'd prefer to

>>> have images without it in my own collection. Goodness knows

>>> we already get more hits than any other fan site out there

>>> anyway.

>>> http://deserthat.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/ign-watermarks-and-lack-of-studio-intercommunication/