[game_preservation] 2008 Whitepaper

Alan Au aau at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 23 15:55:06 EDT 2008

I've used Google documents fairly successfully. It's great for when you want to generate an actual document as the end product. The drawback is that it's not really very good for real-time interaction. Instant Messaging, Internet Relay Chat, or a Voice Over Internet program are all good options, and you can use them while simultaneously editing a shared document.

I recommend steering clear of virtual spaces (World of Warcraft or otherwise), as they incur a lot of processor and network overhead, and you still have to comb through the transcripts later to build the actual document. I mean, you could run them windowed or in the background, but that defeats the purpose of using a graphical front-end. Then again, use of games as ad-hoc chat clients is a time-honored tradition. (I heard an anecdote that Command & Conquer was used in the pre-IM days to get around lights-out restrictions at military academies.)

I'm not sure what I can offer content-wise. That is, I probably know a bit about the issues, just that I haven't gone through the process of trying to organize my thoughts yet.

- Alan