[game_preservation] 2008 Whitepaper

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 23 16:41:37 EDT 2008

Alan,

yeah, I was just thinking of using a virtual world as a kick-off
meeting space to set an agenda, then moving the actual collaboration
to a wiki or Google Docs or something of that sort. Xfire offers a
good option, too, either for text or voice chat.

Henry

At 12:55 PM 4/23/2008, Alan Au wrote:

>I've used Google documents fairly successfully. It's great for when

>you want to generate an actual document as the end product. The

>drawback is that it's not really very good for real-time

>interaction. Instant Messaging, Internet Relay Chat, or a Voice

>Over Internet program are all good options, and you can use them

>while simultaneously editing a shared document.

>I recommend steering clear of virtual spaces (World of Warcraft or

>otherwise), as they incur a lot of processor and network overhead,

>and you still have to comb through the transcripts later to build

>the actual document. I mean, you could run them windowed or in the

>background, but that defeats the purpose of using a graphical

>front-end. Then again, use of games as ad-hoc chat clients is a

>time-honored tradition. (I heard an anecdote that Command & Conquer

>was used in the pre-IM days to get around lights-out restrictions at

>military academies.)

>I'm not sure what I can offer content-wise. That is, I probably

>know a bit about the issues, just that I haven't gone through the

>process of trying to organize my thoughts yet.

>- Alan

>----------

>Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:36:42 +0100

>From: andrew at aarmstrong.org

>To: game_preservation at igda.org

>Subject: Re: [game_preservation] 2008 Whitepaper

>I wish I knew an interactive one, definately something to check out

>- I mean, a whitepaper cannot be written collaboratively, but can be

>checked collaboratively. I guess sections will be written up by

>people then expanded/edited by everyone, since it isn't a

>single-person whitepaper. This would be good for the editing and

>expansion parts, especially if it could be done in short meetings

>with everyone having read the section beforehand.

>Andrew

>Captain Commando wrote:

>What about using <http://bubbl.us>bubbl.us as a central

>brainstorming document? This is a neat tool that uses interactive

>brainstorming in Flash and you can share it with others. I started

>playing around with it and it is fairly easy to use. The only

>problem is I don't think you can watch it develop in realtime.

>Another option might be something like Google docs and spreadsheets,

>but this has similar issues. I'm also not as familiar with it, but

>it would be useful when editing the White Paper itself.

>-DM

>Spell a grand slam in this game where word skill meets World Series.

><http://club.live.com/word_slugger.aspx?icid=word_slugger_wlhm_admod_april08>Get

>in the game.

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004