[game_preservation] Game developers memorial page?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Jan 21 19:22:45 EST 2008

Hey,

> In terms of cross-referencing other wiki's, I should hope that basic

> pages like game credits don't change much over time so you could

> probably cross-link to an individual page. I guess that would have to

> be manually done for each entry, and just hope that the links don't

> change over time.

Well, not to make an obvious point, but the deceased developers credits
will /hopefully /not change...

Sorry, bad comment/joke ;-)

But it's workable if you put it that way. I thought you were implying we
should do an IGDA wiki with entries for each game and company and
whatnot. :-D - that sounds a lot easier. Most of the time a persons
information once they are dead is pretty static however, so some can be
put in the entry.

> I think for starters we'd need a basic wiki that can fit a list of all

> the things we'd want to add, and then start adding information on a

> few people to see how it looks. Having a comments box would also help

> so people can add their own messages about their friends, though to

> simplify things you'd probably have to be a member of the wiki to do

> so. I think that's how most pages do it anyhow. Hopefully that won't

> require any kind of moderation or QC.

Wiki moderation? Not needed since spambots were disabled after the
upgrade - now you need a IGDA membership (which can be free) to get a
wiki account - notably, since you usually pay to be a member (or if not,
the IGDA can remove your account quite easily for breaking the rules),
and an adult member at that (99% of the time), the threshold for
lunacy/spam/idiocy is near 0. We'd leave a comments section on each page
- you edit the section and add a signed comment (or we can add comments
if they are emailed in).

So sounds like a plan. Bedtime now for me but I might comment if there
is further discussion, although like I said I can't help until after my
exams. To get it going further, once we have the basics up, we should
get the word out (IGDA mailing list and forums for starters) and make it
a wiki project (not that it will do much, but gotta start somewhere
online - it'd likely go faster doing it offline and asking people to
email in ones).