[game_preservation] Game developers memorial page?

Captain Commando evilcowclone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 11:33:51 EST 2008

Andrew,

Sounds good. I have to finish my thesis work first. If my defense date is
late Feb, I can't do anything much until after that's done. Hopefully I'll
have a defense date later today...

We also ran a Mark Haigh-Hutchinson memorial article on the Metroid Database
today if anyone is interested. We've got links to Gamasutra and a wonderful
Game/AI memorial. There is also a small blurb about a few other people we
lost at the bottom with links:

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

-Devin Monnens

On Jan 21, 2008 5:22 PM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org> wrote:

> Hey,

> In terms of cross-referencing other wiki's, I should hope that basic pages

> like game credits don't change much over time so you could probably

> cross-link to an individual page. I guess that would have to be manually

> done for each entry, and just hope that the links don't change over time.

> Well, not to make an obvious point, but the deceased developers credits

> will *hopefully *not change...

> Sorry, bad comment/joke ;-)

> But it's workable if you put it that way. I thought you were implying we

> should do an IGDA wiki with entries for each game and company and whatnot.

> :-D - that sounds a lot easier. Most of the time a persons information once

> they are dead is pretty static however, so some can be put in the entry.

> I think for starters we'd need a basic wiki that can fit a list of all the

> things we'd want to add, and then start adding information on a few people

> to see how it looks. Having a comments box would also help so people can add

> their own messages about their friends, though to simplify things you'd

> probably have to be a member of the wiki to do so. I think that's how most

> pages do it anyhow. Hopefully that won't require any kind of moderation or

> QC.

> Wiki moderation? Not needed since spambots were disabled after the upgrade

> - now you need a IGDA membership (which can be free) to get a wiki account -

> notably, since you usually pay to be a member (or if not, the IGDA can

> remove your account quite easily for breaking the rules), and an adult

> member at that (99% of the time), the threshold for lunacy/spam/idiocy is

> near 0. We'd leave a comments section on each page - you edit the section

> and add a signed comment (or we can add comments if they are emailed in).

> So sounds like a plan. Bedtime now for me but I might comment if there is

> further discussion, although like I said I can't help until after my exams.

> To get it going further, once we have the basics up, we should get the word

> out (IGDA mailing list and forums for starters) and make it a wiki project

> (not that it will do much, but gotta start somewhere online - it'd likely go

> faster doing it offline and asking people to email in ones).

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando