[game_preservation] Abandonware

Greg Boyd lextalionis at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 22:17:22 EDT 2008

I have been practicing IP law in games for a while and I teach copyright
infringement in the following way for my video game law class. Maybe some
of this is useful here. It certainly applies for abandonware and for
preservation generally (more for older games).

What has to happen to lose a trial on copyright infringement?

1. You have to be doing something that "may" be infringement.

2. The rights holder has to know about it (unlikely in abandonware).

3. The rights holder has to be upset about it. (often they don't care or
are happy that someone cares enough to archive a game).

PAUSE - you usually get a "cease and desist" letter here which is a chance
to get out of everything for the problem material.

4. The rights holder has to be REALLY upset about it. How did you answer
that C&D? (This is short-hand for the rights holder has to send a guy like
me $50,000 bucks to get started drafting a complaint for court knowing that
a case easily runs into six figures - also unlikely for very old software
without a financial future unless it is a franchise).

5. The rights holder then has to take you to court and actually win.
(always a coin toss with fair use and other defenses - unless you are
stupidly selling the stuff - which no one in this group would do).

Short analysis - All 5 of those things have to happen. How unlikely is
that?

Longer, fun, analysis:

1-5 are all AND statements in logic/programming speak. By that, I mean
something like the probability of a fair coin coming up heads is 0.5. That
probability of that happening twice is 0.25. The probability of it coming
up heads five times in a row is 0.5^5 or .03125.

That example is for something that is 50/50. The probability of items 1-5
above even if you give item 1 a value of 1.0 degenerates a lot faster than a
fair coin toss. 2 and 3 alone are shockingly improbable more improbable
with abandonware.

In short, taking on a little risk may be worth it as long you understand the
risk involved. If if it is strictly speaking infringement, what are the
damages, who is going to know, and who is going to care? If they do care,
who is going to care enough beyond asking you to delete your archived copy
and/or stop distributing it. That C&D letter just cost them $1,000 to
write. They don't want to put any more money into this case either.

I am NOT saying this is 100% OK, but I am saying that rational behavior and
imperfect knowledge makes the risk of this turning into a real legal problem
for a non-profit legitimate archiver usually pretty low.

Greg

This is NOT legal advice. Every situation is different, but these are just
some general thoughts I have about the relatively low risk of
archiving/preservation generally.