[game_preservation] Preservation Whitepaper Brainstorm Progress

Chris Lepine chris at artfulgamer.com
Tue Nov 11 12:13:44 EST 2008

Devin,

I tried to poke at that very question in an article I wrote a few
months ago:
http://www.artfulgamer.com/2008/09/02/the-lost-art-of-game-packaging-
and-the-digital-only-turning-point/

To save you a few minutes - I basically argue that 'feelies' are the
way-station between the player's reality and the game world...
they're a physical instantiation of the game's world that gives the
player a focus for their imagination. Without the feelies, it's a
completely different kind of game. I use Ultima IV as an example - if
you don't read the manual and use the feelies, you won't get a real
"role-playing" experience from the game. At least, that's my take on it.

Wasteland famously uses the "paragraphs" system ... it was a way of
overcoming a storage problem according to most sources. Still, it
lends an awfully unique experience to playing the game - "You
encounter Harry the Bunny Master. Read paragraph 85". Although a lot
of people found WL's paragraph system clunky, I thought it gave the
game some psychological realism otherwise not possible.

Just my $0.02 CDN, $0.01 USD.
- Chris

http://www.artfulgamer.com
'in search of the poetic and lyrical in video games...'