[game_preservation] Survey of Game Preservation Institutions (IGDA Game Preservation SIG)

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:29:54 EST 2009

Dear SIG Members,

I may have already sent a copy of this to you, and if so I apologize for the
additional e-mail. This is a survey I am running to help build the Museums,
Archives,and Collections project.

http://wiki.igda.org/Game_Preservation_SIG/Videogame_Museums,_Archives,_Displays_and_Collections

*The survey is only 22 questions, so it's fairly short. Please take some
time to fill it out. If you know of someone who is not on the list, please
forward this to them!*

http://www.deserthat.com/downloads/List_of_Archives.doc

Survey of Game Preservation Institutions
Part of the International Game Developers Association (IGDA) Game
Preservation Special Interest Group Research Projects
http://www.igda.org/preservation

*Purpose*:
The purpose of this survey is to document game preservation institutions and
initiatives to foster connections between computer game preservation
projects worldwide. Data from this survey will be used to construct a
directory of game libraries, archives, and preservation projects for access
on the International Game Developers Association (IGDA) Game Preservation
Special Interest Group website as well as a bibliography of essays and books
on computer game and digital media preservation projects. The data will
determine:

- The size of each project
- Its area of focus
- Its geographic location
- How to contact them
- Collaborations with other institutions
- Publication Information

Understanding the size and scope of each project will allow fellow
preservationists and researchers to know where to find research material
relative to their area of focus. Contact information will foster
collaboration between museums and archives while promoting access for
researchers and sharing of information, building strong professional
networks. Finally, this survey will be interested in the benefits you or
your institution have received from working with the industry, the IGDA, and
other preservation groups in order to better understand how to improve the
IGDA Game Preservation SIG.

Note the term 'computer games' is here used as an umbrella term to indicate
games and game-like interactive entertainment produced for home consoles,
handheld devices, arcade machines, etc, as well as personal computers: the
term applies to games run using computational devices and is not limited to
PC games.

In addition, please forward this survey to any organization you know working
with computer game preservation that is not currently on our contact list to
help increase the scope of this survey. The list may be found here:

http://www.deserthat.com/downloads/List_of_Archives.doc

Please return surveys to: dmonnens at gmail.com. You may copy/paste your
Preservation Survey' in the message title.

Devin Monnens, MFA
Adjunct Professor
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
dmonnens at gmail.com
www.deserthat.com

*For multiple choice responses, please list only the relevant option.

1.What is your name?

2.What is the name of the library or archive you work with?

3.My group is formally labeled as a/an:
Library
Archive
Other
I am interested in starting a library or archive

4.Are you independently operated or part of a larger educational or
corporate entity? If so, please indicate.

5.Where is your institution located?

6.What is you or your institution's contact information?

7.When and how was your library/archive established?

8.What is the approximate size of the collection?

9.What is the size of your staff?
It's just me. (1)
There is a handful of people. (2-5)
There are several people. (6-10)
There are many people in my department. (11+)

10.What is the size of your budget? (in USD or indicate currency)
Nothing, or whatever I can scrape up (0-100)
A few hundred dollars to work with (101-1000)
Thousands of dollars to work with (1001-10,000)
Tens of thousands of dollars to work with (10,001-100,000)
Hundreds of thousands of dollars to work with (100,001-999,999)
They give me millions! (1,000,000+)

11.Does your library/archive specialize in one particular aspect of computer
games? If so, which area? (ex. Personal computers, arcade machines, console
games, instruction manuals, games and metadata from a particular company,
etc.)

12.Do you offer any courses on or related to computer game preservation? If
so, what are they?

13.Has you or your institution presented at a conference or published books
or articles regarding the preservation of computer games or other digital
media? If so, please list notable publications and presentations. (Links to
bibliographies are acceptable.)

14.What other digital media preservation institutions has your library or
archive worked with?

15.Which of these specializes in computer game preservation?

16.How do you feel working with other preservation groups has or would
improve your capacities and knowledge for preserving computer games?

17.Has your institution with any game developers, publishers, or individual
industry members? If so, which ones?

18.How do you feel working with game developers and publishers has improved
your capacities for and knowledge of game preservation?

19.Are you a member of the International Game Developers Association Game
Preservation Special Interest Group? (IGDA paid membership is not required)

20.What benefits has your institution gained from becoming a member?

21.What other media preservation groups are you affiliated with?

22.What benefits has your institution gained from becoming a member of these
organizations?

Thank you for your time on the survey! Please return a copy of this via
e-mail todmonnens at gmail.com. Results will be released in late February or
mid-March.