[game_preservation] Survey of Game Preservation Institutions (IGDA Game Preservation SIG)

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 16 12:36:09 EST 2009

Devin,

in the list, these two entries are the same thing:

Preserving Virtual Worlds Project

Library of Congress, University of Illinois, Stanford University

Janet Eke (UI)

Jerry McDonough

Preserving Virtual Worlds Project

University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign

Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA

http://pvw.illinois.edu/pvw/

Jerome McDonough -- jmcdonou at illionois.edu

http://pvw.illinois.edu/pvw/?page_id=166

Also, for Stanford, the Cabrinety Collection is a collection, while How
They Got Game is a project. The point is, they are separate and the
sense, since this is about initiatives, to get a response for How They
Got Game in which I could just mention Cabrinety as a resource. Your
preference?

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Dear SIG Members,

> I may have already sent a copy of this to you, and if so I apologize

> for the additional e-mail. This is a survey I am running to help build

> the Museums, Archives,and Collections project.

> http://wiki.igda.org/Game_Preservation_SIG/Videogame_Museums,_Archives,_Displays_and_Collections

> *The survey is only 22 questions, so it's fairly short. Please take

> some time to fill it out. If you know of someone who is not on the

> list, please forward this to them!*

> http://www.deserthat.com/downloads/List_of_Archives.doc

> Devin Monnens

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

> Survey of Game Preservation Institutions

> Part of the International Game Developers Association (IGDA) Game

> Preservation Special Interest Group Research Projects

> http://www.igda.org/preservation

> *Purpose*:

> The purpose of this survey is to document game preservation

> institutions and initiatives to foster connections between computer

> game preservation projects worldwide. Data from this survey will be

> used to construct a directory of game libraries, archives, and

> preservation projects for access on the International Game Developers

> Association (IGDA) Game Preservation Special Interest Group website as

> well as a bibliography of essays and books on computer game and

> digital media preservation projects. The data will determine:

> * The size of each project

> * Its area of focus

> * Its geographic location

> * How to contact them

> * Collaborations with other institutions

> * Publication Information

> Understanding the size and scope of each project will allow fellow

> preservationists and researchers to know where to find research

> material relative to their area of focus. Contact information will

> foster collaboration between museums and archives while promoting

> access for researchers and sharing of information, building strong

> professional networks. Finally, this survey will be interested in the

> benefits you or your institution have received from working with the

> industry, the IGDA, and other preservation groups in order to better

> understand how to improve the IGDA Game Preservation SIG.

> Note the term 'computer games' is here used as an umbrella term to

> indicate games and game-like interactive entertainment produced for

> home consoles, handheld devices, arcade machines, etc, as well as

> personal computers: the term applies to games run using computational

> devices and is not limited to PC games.

> In addition, please forward this survey to any organization you know

> working with computer game preservation that is not currently on our

> contact list to help increase the scope of this survey. The list may

> be found here:

> http://www.deserthat.com/downloads/List_of_Archives.doc

> Please return surveys to: dmonnens at gmail.com

> [...]

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004