[game_preservation] Cataloging Standards?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 23:51:24 EST 2009

This is a good question. I can put these in two categories.

1. Essential Information

This is for identifying the games: title, year, publisher, developer,
region, version number, platform, region, and alternate or translated
titles.

2. Additional Information for getting content to run

This would include what kinds of accessories work with the game, any issues
or compatibilities it has with hardware (i.e. GBA-GC link cable; In the Hunt
won't work using a Pro Action Replay unless you either have a controller in
port 1 only or a controller in both ports), if on OS, hardware and software
requirements (both recommended and minimum).

However,
metadata is also important: what kind of game is it, for instance.
Maybe someone wants to look at RPGs, or specifically action-RPGs like
Secret of Mana. However, this feels more like information that is in
Mobygames. Conversely, collectors would be interested in rarity and
cost. Other databases might want images of boxes, games, and manual
PDFs. Each database would have its own goals. My personal goals would
be 'how do I identify the game?' and
the second is 'how do I get it to
run?' and so for this reason, 1 and 2 are the most important for me.

Devin