[game_preservation] Cataloging Standards?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Dec 27 21:51:54 EST 2009

I think one important aspect of history is putting it in context. One
reason discussions on "how important", "how good" and "how popular"
things are/were is that they are important things to note. :)

I'm an "inclusionist" - if it was a game database for historians, there
would be no field left un-added (at least in a generic "notes" or
"tagging" fashion). Why would a database leave out readily available
information if someone has the time to add it?

I could list a whole load of areas that I would think are important, and
certainly necessary to do any kind of historical research into games
though a database :) at least from my perspective.

Then again, if it is a pure database - relational, limited inputs (think
"checkboxes" versus "text" fields), then well, there's probably some
interesting ones centred around categorising a game - what people think
the genres it fits into, the related games to it (in series, influence,
etc.), the age it is aimed at, the people it is aimed at, the lasting
effect of it (categories of sales figures, outreach, influence...) and
so forth.

Anything perhaps more specific, I mean, like what you already have and
what kind of database it might be, if you're really interested in a
list? I'm assuming of course that there is all the data Devin has said
already - it'd be next to useless if it couldn't tell when a game was
released, where, by whom, etc. to start with :)

Andrew