[game_preservation] Wikipedia thoughts?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Thu Jan 8 11:42:51 EST 2009

From some recent curfuffles on Wikipedia deleting MUD article(s):

http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/01/losing_the_thre.html
http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/01/more_on_thresho.html

I wanted to know if anyone on the list had thoughts on Wikipedia - as a
resource, as a solution or problem, or whatever. I'm just interested,
I've not investigated it much myself, and only ever use the
encyclopaedia for general reading, but the quality of some subjects is
pretty poor (or, as we can see, not even there now).

Hopefully the situation will improve over time. I was also going to see
what perhaps Mobygames were doing to expand their database (if they were
going to) - there is a lot of credits, covers and screenshots, but not
much actual written content about the games in the database, which is a
shame really.