[game_preservation] Calling for resources! Books! Websites! Whatever!

Chris Lepine chris at artfulgamer.com
Sat Jan 10 12:56:21 EST 2009

Hi Andrew,

I can recommend a few books on the subject of video games that I've
read over the years. AFAIK, none are available as a free download ...
but they do provide a great sense of game history:

Dungeons and Desktops, by Matt Barton
http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Desktops-History-Computer-Role-playing/
dp/1568814119
(probably the most comprehensive history of role playing games ever
written - he literally reviews a huge number of games, talks about
their design, style, etc)

Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop
Culture, by David Kushner
http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/
0375505245
(the history of id software - very good storytelling, and insights
into the personalities of the two Johns)

The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon, by Steven
L. Kent
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-History-Video-Games-Pokemon/dp/0761536434
(more of a referential history of video games)

Dungeons and Dreamers: The Rise of Computer Game Culture from Geek to
Chic, by Brad King & John Borland
http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dreamers-Rise-Computer-Culture/dp/
0072228881
(some good storytelling that follows the life of Richard Garriott
among others - it gave me a good sense for how Ultima was conceived
in relation to his personal life)

Halcyon Days: Interviews with Classic Computer and Video Game
Programmers, by James Hague
http://www.dadgum.com/halcyon/
(free, interesting, interviews with some of the big names of the 80s
and early 90s - it gave me a sense for the development challenges
that developers face)

And although these are only tangentially related, books on the
development of the Commodore 64 and Apple //e are extremely important
for understanding the history of video games as they helped to create
the possibility for mass-market computer games:

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution, Steven Levy
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/729

On The Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore, by Brian
Bagnall
http://www.variantpress.com/books/on-the-edge
(seems to be temporarily Out of Stock)

Hope that helps.

- Chris

---
The Artful Gamer: In Search of the Lyrical and Poetic in Video Games
http://www.artfulgamer.com