[game_preservation] Status of DMCA exemption relevant to game preservation

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 18:11:37 EST 2009

Henry,

Just got back and going through old e-mails. Not sure I completely
understand this (could be jet lag...). Anyway, any significant defense of
game preservation would require some of the key points we've addressed in
the white paper:

a) That games stored on obsolete and volatile formats will not outlast their
copyright and will therefore be unavailable for public use when the
copyright expires.
b) That longevity requires circumvention of DRMA (migration, emulation,
etc).
c) That games are a culturally and socially important medium that produces
meaning (examples like Loom, Ultima, and text adventures as classic
examples) that currently are not guaranteed long-term preservation by their
copyright holders, and there is no group that is responsible for long-term
preservation of digital media, especially games.
d) Much progress has been made in recent years in game preservation as a
result of this exemption, but preservation is a long process that cannot be
done in merely 3 years and cannot be done without support from LoC.

Is that it, in a nutshell? We're mainly concerned with magnetic data at this
point because optical discs still have a longer lifespan. Once they become a
problem, then it will be easier to adopt them because we will already
(hopefully...) have a working archive of magnetic disk-based games.

-Devin

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando