[game_preservation] Wikipedia thoughts?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sat Jan 10 21:52:49 EST 2009

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> It happens for console games too now sadly, sigh)

Yes, requiring the PS3/Xbox360/Wii to be connected to the 'net was the
end of an era. The only true "console"-ness left is the Nintendo DS
(already the PSP requires updates).

> Fair enough on staying neutral, I just differ on the opinion of what you

> consider opinion or fact I think, haha. ;)

Then you can appreciate why we are as conservative as possible :-)

> PS: Yes, programming is an art (and part of the collective whole of

> making a game), and no, buggy games are not always the fault of

> programming anyway, hehehe :)

I have an entire bookcase of my software collection dedicated to games
that wrung every last drop of performance out of a machine notoriously
difficult to program games for (the original IBM PC with CGA). Games
like Starglider, Turbo Champions, Elite, Interphase, Flight Simulator,
Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Simulator (and CYAFTrainer, after the
original name got them sued :-), ICON: Quest for the Ring, and others
are truly works of programming art for that platform.

[soapbox]A lot of people think the original PC, with it's 5MHz 16-bit
processor, would be easy to write fast software for; in reality, it took
4x as long as a C64 to access memory and 6x as long to perform most
simple calculations. Add to that an odd graphics memory structure and
no graphics hardware assistance at all, and you have a nightmare to
program for.[/soapbox]

I am probably the only historian here who has a category for "most
clever/efficient programming" for software history...
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/