[game_preservation] Project proposal: citation/catalogue standards

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 19:25:47 EST 2009

Hi all,

Coming close to the end of the white paper project, I've got another
proposal to consider. This is in regards to the development of a standards
system for cataloguing and citing videogames. I know the Game Journalists
group has their own system in the works, and I think that the catalogue
system for archives could have affinities with citation standards. I spoke
with archivists at a couple universities in Japan, one of which has begun
their own catalogue system.

The game catalogue would eventually be used to produce a 'master list' of
games (say a sum of all products) that can be used for citation and
archival. At this point, it is just metadata, but it is also a tool that can
be used for preservation purposes by giving a list of actual works.
Something like this could be very helpful for preservation.

One of the first steps is determining what information needs to be included
in the catalogue, and I think a good bit of this would involve cooperation
from existing archives and catalogues, as well as help from the
International Game Journalists. Ideally, I think this would be a system that
could be used effectively by libraries, archives, academics, and
journalists.

-Devin Monnens

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando