[game_preservation] Online DRM

Andreas Lange lange at digitalgamearchive.org
Mon Mar 30 11:09:37 EDT 2009

The KEEP project will be a first step into the systematic research on
that topic. We just published a call for a legal study on the whole
emulation complex including the DRM issue. The study will cover at least
the legal territories of France, Germany and Netherlands. Without
wanting to anticipate the outcome of the study I expect that further
legal actions must be undertaken, like the exeption on the DMCA, which
was granted in 2003 (http://www.copyright.gov/1201/). In spite this was
an important step to enable archives to preserve games legally (at least
in the US), online DRM systems seem to be a new challenge to me, where
the archivists depends on the volontary cooperation of the industry.
Therefore I was interested to hear, if that was a topic at the GDC.
Andreas