[game_preservation] Online DRM

Rachel Donahue donahrm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:15:42 EDT 2009

> anticipate the outcome of the study I expect that further legal actions

> must be undertaken, like the exeption on the DMCA, which was granted in 2003

> (http://www.copyright.gov/1201/). In spite this was an important step to

> enable archives to preserve games legally (at least in the US), online DRM

> systems seem to be a new challenge to me, where the archivists depends on

> the volontary cooperation of the industry. Therefore I was interested to

> hear, if that was a topic at the GDC.

> Andreas

Unfortunately, all US DMCA exemptions were discontinued with only a slight
whisper on the net, and had to be re-submitted for consideration in the new
set (this happens every 3 years). There are public hearings on these
proposals in May.

-------
Rachel Donahue
Graduate Assistant
Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities
University of Maryland, College Park
College Park, MD