[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Roundup] November 2009

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Wed Nov 11 23:31:53 EST 2009

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Awesome Bill, didn't know about that site. I've added it to the

> resources section and as a link in the project page for that.

> Sometime in the future (farrrr fuuutrreee, when I have magical

> unlimitteddd tiimmeee :) ) I planned on getting an Archive.org

> collection for free games, as a pure repository. I'll certainly keep

> your project and site in mind when it comes to adding to this (but if

> you were interested, could work on it sooner rather then later I guess,

> if you want some download mirrors and a good backed up place for the

> files you do put up ;) all it mainly needs is the insane amount of time

> it takes to upload files).

Funny you should mention this. Just this past week, I finally got around
to visiting all of the game pages on http://liberatedgames.org/ (which
doesn't seem to be maintained anymore), followed all the links, and
downloaded everything I could. The maintainer had mirrored a lot of
files @ atomicgamer.com which is a pain to download from. I went ahead
and paid a $5 monthly subscription fee to get easy access to the files.

I hope to upload them all to my own webspace soon so that others can
more easily download them. I think these acquisitions tally about 7 GB
total. I also have a file full of dead links that I need to chase down
from other sources (hopefully).

--
-Mike Melanson