[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Roundup] October 2009

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Thu Oct 1 11:58:51 EDT 2009

We've had DiGRA during September, if anyone has any future or past
events they want to have put in the newsletter make sure to email in :)

Preservation SIG September 2009 Work

The SIG presented the edited 2009 white paper on preservation at DiGRA
2009
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/SIG_Resources/DiGRA_2009>,
along with other members presenting on diverse topics on the subject of
preservation - very interesting panel, and thank you to Dan Pinchbeck,
Andreas Lange, Jo Barwick, James Newman and Tom Wooley.

DiGRA was also helpful with some historical papers. The main one I got
permission to upload was related to the history of Tetris
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Digital_Game_Canon/Tetris>,
and might be of interest. Thanks to Will Jordan for permission to upload
this.

If you are interested in helping the SIG work you can handily volunteer
for some projects <http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG>, or
create your own if something is missing!

Future Work for October 2009

If anyone has any suggestions for work please bring them up on the
mailing list. I am personally too busy, and at this very moment too ill,
to do much more then discuss things.

Mailing List Discussions

If you've not joined our mailing list
<http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/game_preservation>, please do
so. We've never tried using our forums it seems :) we stick to
old-fangled email. This will eventually change when the IGDA site
changes over - although those wanting email can still get it.

September
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-September/thread.html>
had Henry Lowood bring up the manifest for preserving Doom
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-September/001381.html>,
which we discussed a lot. There was also a brief discussion on the
definition and thinginess of games from DiGRA keynote
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-September/001376.html>,
arty games
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-September/001401.html>,
and a longer discussion on how best to get ISO data onto a usable
external harddrive
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-September/001405.html>
for hobbyist preservation (if anyone wants to help write guides or
provide them, feel free!). Finally serious games
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-September/001429.html>
might get a canon-like list sorted for themselves, and some cool retro
"machinima"
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-September/001427.html>
was posted.

Preservation SIG Blog Updates / Links

/Have I missed anything this month? Then email it in to
preservation_news @ igda.org !/

* DiGRA 2009 Panel
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/09/digra_2009_pane.html>
- /Yes, I realise this is a duplicate. :/ No one sent anything in
and I've not seen anything else!/

Final Thoughts

I hope you'll get a good Halloween costume made up for the end of
October ;) (what? you don't do Halloween? man, well, play some scary
videogames instead then!). There is Game City at the end of the month in
the UK, and if they host any more history-based things I'll post up
anything I find interesting on the mailing list.

Andrew Armstrong

IGDA Game Preservation SIG Site/Blog editor