[game_preservation] PDP-5 Emulation

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Thu Apr 8 14:54:32 EDT 2010

Haha, that's right, forgot that part. Sorry if I play it before you
somehow, although I don't know what PDP systems are functional at the
NMOC, they were mainly repairing them :)

I am sure the American places have more of the PDP machines however,
larger amount were used in America.

Andrew

On 08/04/2010 19:16, Devin Monnens wrote:

> Yeah, I can upload it...there's just understandably something cool

> about being the first person in 35 years to play this ;-) I can upload

> it in the next day or two.

> Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 8, 2010, at 12:03 PM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org

> <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

>> I could ask at the National Museum of Computing in the UK, am going

>> there again (and restarting my volunteering I hope) this weekend. I

>> am sure they have some PDP machines, not sure which ones but I am

>> sure I can take along the specs and see, not sure about the scope

>> though. If no one knows in person I'll ask on their mailing list,

>> there's a few people who might have the know-how or possibly have

>> emulator information.

>> Do you think you'd be able to put the text format online for use, I

>> mean, since you can't exactly get to the UK if I did happen to find

>> the museum has a working model that would (potentially) run it?

>> Andrew

>> On 08/04/2010 03:56, Devin Monnens wrote:

>>> I have transcribed ICBM into text format. There were a few areas of

>>> the printout that were a little too blurried for me to make them out

>>> with 100% accuracy, but I have a 95% confidence that the code is

>>> accurate. This is a graphical game that ran on the PDP-5. I don't

>>> think it will run on a PDP-8, as the catalog number is 5-277, which

>>> suggests to me it uses just the PDP-5. In any event, here are the

>>> hardware requirements:

>>> 4K PDP-5, ASR33, Type 34 Scope Display

>>> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>