[game_preservation] Nolan Bushnell returns to Atari

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 15:41:10 EDT 2010

Lol, he didn't even run a successful business with Atari Inc. During
his 4 year tenure he had it facing bankruptcy multiple times, which is
actually what lead him to start seeking financial support and then
ultimately the sale to Warner.

People don't realize that the actual era most people fondly remember
about Atari ('79 -'84) and when it became a multi-billion dollar
success, was after Nolan.

Likewise with regards to Chuck E. Cheese, which was run in to
bankruptcy by him (if you're sailing yachts instead of running your
company, things like that tend to happen). And if you look, every
company he's done since then has either failed or gone bankrupt.

With actual stats like that, and the fact that now even the woman in
charge of Atari SA's entire online strategy quit with Gardner and
Harrison, I don't see this as possibly being anything more than a PR
stunt as you guys mentioned.

And it's not Atari Inc. in New York, they don't have a board anymore.
He joined the board of Infogrames SA/Atari SA, i.e. the main company
of the umbrella.

Marty