[game_preservation] Game Canon

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 15:55:31 EDT 2010

It also raises an interesting question about the content of the games.
Should everyone play Doom or Grand Theft Auto before they die? What if I
hate sports? Should I play Madden?

You could ask the same thing about film. A Clockwork Orange or Silence of
the Lambs. Or Come and See. There are lots of people who would not have
interest in seeing these films.

So "before you die" shouldn't really be taken literally :P

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu> wrote:

> It's an interesting question. There are some games I would recommend in a

> general way, but cannot claim to have played them seriously. I doubt that

> I could give more than a few dozen deeply-felt recommendations -- games that

> I played intensively, value, and feel my reader should play "before you

> die."

> Henry

> On 8/9/2010 11:14 AM, Rowan Kaiser wrote:

> It's an editor with several contributors. I know at least one of them. It

> does make me wonder how many games I've played, and how many of them I could

> recommend.

> Rowan

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Devin,

>> I agree -- it's difficult to see how anyone could play through that many

>> games.

>> Henry

>> On 8/9/2010 10:41 AM, Devin Monnens wrote:

>> I haven't played 1000 games. I don't think there's too many people who

>> have. It might be more useful to have a 100 list say, as that's much easier

>> to go through - though obviously not as extensive.

>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu>wrote:

>>> That is a long bucket list! I guess the author is claiming to have

>>> played all of them, though.

>>> Henry

>>> On 8/8/2010 11:49 AM, Jan Baart wrote:

>>> There's also this upcoming effort:

>>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/1001-Video-Games-Must-Before/dp/0789320908

>>> Jan

>>> Rowan,

>>> You probably know this, but a mini-version of such a book exists,

>>> published (which is interesting in itself) by the BFI:

>>> http://www.amazon.com/100-Videogames-BFI-Screen-Guides/dp/1844571629

>>> And of course, we know the authors ...

>>> Henry

>>> On 8/3/2010 5:58 PM, Rowan Kaiser wrote:

>>> The main way that I think canons or Halls of Fame or lists of best ever

>>> work is if there's some kind of lens. Simple subjectivity is one way to go

>>> about it, but there are other ways. The initial list you linked to, Andrew,

>>> had a fairly interesting one in that it seemed to be aimed at aspiring

>>> designers. This allows bad games as well as good on the list,

>>> entertainingly. It had some organizational and editorial problems, but I

>>> think that's a fascinating concept, especially as it brings in non-video

>>> games.

>>> One idea that I've had for a long time is an encyclopedia of video games.

>>> But not like a Britannica or World Book where it's ostensibly a collection

>>> of facts presented in a neutral voice, but like some of the film

>>> encyclopedias which present a series of essays on each of their subjects.

>>> This allows for more interesting opinions, more diverse forms of writing or

>>> argument, and, at least conceptually, a sort of user-generated canon. Maybe

>>> I don't care about, say, The Legend of Dragoon, but one of its fans can

>>> write convincingly about why it's interesting or important. Likewise, a game

>>> like Starcraft is important in completely different ways to completely

>>> different people. One essay could talk about its role in competitive gaming,

>>> while another focuses on its interesting use of narrative for a strategy

>>> game.

>>> Rowan

>>> 650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu; http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood <http://www.stanford.edu/%7Elowood>

>>> 650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu