[game_preservation] International Video Game Hall of Fame

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 01:38:19 EDT 2010

...Or would without the player the game not exist?

Oooh... Existentialism!

But seriously, this is something game criticism thinks about - what exactly
is the game? The game is both the object and the session of play. Game
preservation should thus enable both!

Personally, I think remembering designers + players is important because the
players can tell us something about the game. Of course, it's not just the
'best' players who we should remember - what about Until We
Win<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.channels.com%2Fepisodes%2Fshow%2F7370186%2FUntil-We-Win-Chakan&ei=gCpJTIrYDI-ksQORk-lI&usg=AFQjCNGkt4EkMnxTKcVR85_Ogten5ya5TA&sig2=wbHg9J7pSZofZ8WrGuOycA>?
He's never gotten a top score in anything, but has beaten most of the
hardest games ever made (at least one of which, Pumpkinhead's Revenge, has
probably NEVER been beaten before).