[game_preservation] Two books on Gumpei Yokoi [Japanese]

Jose P. Zagal jzagal at cdm.depaul.edu
Fri Jul 30 11:56:51 EDT 2010

> Hi Jose,

> No, I don't know of anyone who isn't in Japan who has these. You CAN get

> them off of Amazon, but it costs $40 to ship them to the US...that's the

> same cost as the books themselves! o_O

Yes, I saw that...and the cost has me debating whether or not to get
them on the off-chance that they might be useful (cost in this case is
mostly about the translation effort, not so much the cash).

> There's the Virtual Boy fanpage you probably know about -

> http://www.virtual-boy.org/

Great site. I would personally recommend this one:
http://www.planetvb.com/modules/news/

> And I also repaired

> <http://deserthat.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/resurrecting-a-virtual-boy/>a

> virtual boy :)

Ah, yes. The old oven trick, it's probably the scariest thing I've ever
done with a piece of hardware I own. :-)

I would also encourage homebrew development. I gave it a try for the
IGDA Global Game Jam. Yes, it works on actual hardware.

http://globalgamejam.org/2010/virtualboy-channel-sweeper

Also, if anyone is interested in the platform, you can check out:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1690406

Zachara, M. and Zagal, J. P. 2009. Challenges for success in stereo
gaming: a Virtual Boy case study. In Proceedings of the international
Conference on Advances in Computer Enterntainment Technology (Athens,
Greece, October 29 - 31, 2009). ACE '09, vol. 422. ACM, New York, NY,
99-106. DOI= http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1690388.1690406

Apologies for the shameless self-promotion.

thanks!

Jose