[game_preservation] Game Database question

Jan Baart jan_baart at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 14 16:55:40 EDT 2010

Hi list,

as some of you might know I'm currently working on a new game database
and while most conceptual problems have already been solved and lots of
data entered there's still one nagging unsolved question. How to handle
"version" of pc games. And I'm not talking about 1.01 or whatever. What
I mean can be best explained by examples:

King's Quest V (EGA Release) / King's Quest V (VGA Release)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Floppy) / Indiana Jones and the
Fate of Atlantis (Enhanced Talkie CD-ROM)

Looking at the bigger pc game databases out there (mobygames,
thelegacy.de, ogdb.de) they all take a different approach and none of
them is really satisfactory. Mobygames basically ignores the concept of
game versions and just throws it all into one kettle. thelegacy.de has
them (well, Indiana Jones, not King's Quest) as editions but does not do
a good job at pointing out the differences and ogdb.de puts these
versions (as well as the Steam version, the 5.25 floppy version and the
re-releases) on the same hierarchical level as the amiga or mac
versions. That doesn't make much sense either.

What I'm basically wondering is this. Do you guys think of these as
different games or just versions of games? After all, as food for
thought, these often differ more than ports from one system to another
and such ports always get separate entries in game databases.

thanks for your feedback,

Jan