[game_preservation] Game Database question

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sun Mar 14 18:21:32 EDT 2010

On 3/14/2010 3:55 PM, Jan Baart wrote:

> Mobygames basically ignores the concept of

> game versions and just throws it all into one kettle.

Considering I designed MobyGames to do exactly the opposite, I'm curious
what you mean. The main screens certainly try to summarize all
platforms so that comparisons can be made at a glance, but the specific
information is under the hood and is accessible. Are you talking about
different platforms for the same game? (For example, Jones in the Fast
Lane has a DOS version as well as a Windows 3.x version, and each are
listed as a platform) Or do you mean different releases of the same
game? If the latter, then different revisions of a game can be noted
along with their version, date, and comments (see
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/kings-quest-v-absence-makes-the-heart-go-yonder/release-info
for an example)

As for your differentiation between EGA vs. VGA as a "release", both
were included in the packaging (see
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/kings-quest-v-absence-makes-the-heart-go-yonder/cover-art/gameCoverId,43069/
) so I'm not sure why those should be categorized as different releases.

One of the problems I saw in the late 1990s was that game listings were
dominated more by pirate group releases and not actual proper publisher
releases. As less and less people have access to the original as years
go by, this only gets worse. Both of your examples point to a
pirate-centric view. I'm not calling you a pirate, btw -- *I* was
certainly a raging pirate in the 1980s, I ran the first abandonware site
sent a cease and desist letter by the (then) IDSA, and I still crack and
release stuff I can get my hands on today that doesn't seem to have made
it into the wild. But despite my love of reverse-engineering and my
desire to preserve history, categorizing games based on what pirate
groups distributed doesn't seem very sound.

> What I'm basically wondering is this. Do you guys think of these as

> different games or just versions of games? After all, as food for

> thought, these often differ more than ports from one system to another

> and such ports always get separate entries in game databases.

I'll illustrate my beliefs with the most difficult example I can think
of: Jones in the Fast Lane. That game had two package releases:

- DOS, floppy, 3.5" and 5.25", EGA and VGA
- CDROM talkie edition with Windows 3.1 and DOS binaries

I would call these two different platforms, with two "versions" per
platform. That's not 100% accurate since the DOS and Windows CDROM
edition are in the same package, but it's close enough for the purposes
of our discussion.

A different example is comparing Heart of China to King's Quest V.
Heart of China was published in two separate packages, one EGA/CGA and
another VGA. KQV was a single package with both sets of disks. So I
would say that Heart of China is two different (publisher) releases,
while KQV is one release despite having two sets of disks in it.

The bigger problem you pose is: How different does a game have to get
on different platforms before it's not the same game? When we built
MobyGames' platform support, we made sure to make things easily
comparable, because I find it historically fascinating to see how a game
was re-implemented on various platforms. Take Elite as an example, and
poke through http://www.mobygames.com/game/elite/screenshots for some
interesting comparisons. It's interesting to see how it was altered for
the limitations of the platform it was destined for (apple II has
wireframe only, etc.) but it's obvious it's the same game.

Now, take "Tomb Raider" for the Gameboy:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/gameboy-color/tomb-raider_/screenshots/gameShotId,256516/
Despite the common name and character art, it is clearly not a port of
the original; it is more inspired by it. So it shouldn't be included
with the main, consolidated entry, and it isn't.

The Elite example illustrates why MobyGames needs more volunteers -- the
original Elite was for the BBC Micro which, despite the many platforms
that *are* listed, isn't yet a supported platform in MobyGames.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/