[game_preservation] Swag archive?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 15 17:18:47 EDT 2010

The Special Collections term for materials like these: ephemera. We do
have a Silicon Valley ephemera collection at Stanford, and I do
selectively include materials related mostly to California game
companies & events. So, yes, my GDC programs and some of the flyers that
I gather on the show floor end up there. We also have a nice set of
materials from E3; my sister-in-law was part of the marketing team that
established the show, and I collected materials when I attended.
Finally, we have a huge amount of marketing material in the Apple
collection.

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> I was curious if any of the archives out there have a collection of

> swag from conferences like GDC and E3. I was about to recycle half the

> flyers they handed out, but then realized 'I don't know if anyone

> working at an archive is saving these.' I personally think it's just

> junk, but it might be interesting to see what all is being handed out

> at booths as promo. I don't really have the means/space for this stuff

> (nor a comprehensive collection) so I think it's just going in the

> recycle.

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004