[game_preservation] Swag archive?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 15 18:29:36 EDT 2010

Marty,

I wouldn't consider comic books ephemera (or in the case of buttons,
artifacts), but publications. The traditional knock on comic books
from a library perspective was mostly their status as popular culture
and the resulting lack of attention to them by researchers. That has
all changed. We have a large collection here at Stanford, as do several
other libraries; ours was brought in largely as part of the literature
collections (not my area). Same for comic novels.

Another difficulty with comic books is their physical fragility, e.g.,
poor paper stock (in most cases) and stapled binding, and their
susceptibility to theft. These aspects explain why most libraries place
comic books in a Special Collections department or other secure area of
the library, often as non-circulating materials.

Bringing together materials, as you have, around events like the
Asteroids competition is a perfect solution.

Henry

<http://www.stanford.edu/%7Elowood>