[game_preservation] Oregon Trail (1971, 1974)

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 14:36:55 EDT 2010

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the original version(s) of
Oregon Trail? It was first created in 1971 at Carleton College, MN and later
released on the statewide computer network in 1974. It seems to me these
games would be very important historically. There seems to be very little
information of the game on the web aside from how it was composed on a
teletype and the information from this 'interview':

http://ldt.stanford.edu/ldt1999/Students/kemery/esc/otMainFrame.htm

<http://ldt.stanford.edu/ldt1999/Students/kemery/esc/otMainFrame.htm>Don
Rawitsch is actually running a company called Rawitsch Consulting -
http://www.interimops.com/ I have contacted him through here but was curious
if anyone had additional information on the 1971 and 1974 versions of the
game. It sounds like the gameplay might be similar to Fur Trader, so one of
the things I am curious about is some of the design decisions behind its
development.

http://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=69